Actually, I suppose, a major purpose of art journaling is learning. From everything I've read, it's supposed to be a place to try new things, experiment, and, if it's also a written journal, to express ourselves and figure out who we are.
I probably started this spread during the week of October 5. (I need to learn to date things!) While I was cleaning I came upon a whole collection of receipts mom had kept. I don't know why. They were all ordinary things. Perhaps she thought, as I did, that they'd make an interesting background.
I pasted them down, but for reasons I don't know, most of them did not show up when the ModPodge dried. I was kind of disappointed because one of the receipts was mom's last Craft Warehouse purchase. Lots of arty items!
A day or two later I splashed on some acrylic color -- blue, then pink, then yellow.
The next week I spent most of my time in the art studio. I went back and forth between cleaning/reorganizing and working on this page. I tried out a few stencils--the large circle, the two fancy strokes at the top of the right side, and a found stencil (sticker waste, maybe) on the bottom of the right age. It looked like a brick or stone wall, so I added the ivy with another stencil. I used a gray Sharpie to create the top of the wall and the mortar. It was all flat, so I tried to glaze the leaves. That was a so-so experiment. I need to find my shiny ModPodge.
Lesson: Paint on mortar before bricks or stones and ivy!
It worked out okay, though. The wrinkles of the receipts helped to create some texture. All I had to do was shade them. I also added shadows to the ivy. It is SO much easier to add shadow in GIMP!
The sections of the large circle are colored in with felt pens and then traced with gel pens. Ooooo! I love gel pens on acrylic! After I completed the circle, I used the gel pens to outline and add the veins to the ivy.
Next I went back to the stencils. I have one with different size circles. I figured I'd use stamps in the circles. I don't know if the ink is drying or if it just doesn't like stamping on acrylic. Most of them barely showed. I stenciled in one circle (blue), but I didn't really like it, so I stopped at that point. I erased the circles (although faint traces of the pencil remain). The butterfly was okay, so I colored it with felt pens.
I went through my box of words cut from catalogs, magazines and newspaper. I finally decided on "Explore" since that's what I was doing with this page. I started to use a fine tip Sharpie to create shadows/dimension, but it bled in the newsprint paper. I went back to the black gel pen. I also remembered the white pen. That's another one I really, really like.
I had used a stamp for the watering can. It barely showed, but still left a splotch, so I drew it in. It's not exactly the same as the stamp, but who cares? The "ART" stamp has more words that didn't show up. I used the white and gel pens to add dimension to that, too, and ignored the mostly missing words.
I was annoyed that the circles didn't fully erase, but then I thought BUBBLES! I had no idea how to do them, but I think I figured it out, using the white pen again. I liked them so well that I added more. :) Some of the bubbles have pale stamps in them, but not all.
Here and there, the receipts peek through. The name "Ruth" was on a KFC order mom had made. I kept it for sentimental reasons.
It's still not the look I want to create, but I know I have some more learning to do before I am able to create that look. I'm happy with this.
Not the stitches, just the blogging about them.
I have not been neglecting TAST.
|<< <||> >>|